Difficulty: Need to apply pressure with wax or alternatively use white oil pastel/crayon
Art Paper preferable (as opposed to photocopy paper)
Watercolour Paint (I am using Mont Marte Tempera Block Set)
Wax candle or oil pastel/crayon in white
Sequins or foil
- READ Engage the children by reading "The Rainbow Fish" as stimulus to the activity
- DISCUSS Talk about the different aspects of a Fish which is the subject of the artwork ie Fin, Scale, Eye, Lips, Colour etc. Moral of the story is about sharing.
- DEMO Demonstrate the art activity.
- First take the wax candle and make an "invisible" drawing. Tell students to move their bodies or the paper around to see where the lines have been drawn. (Alternatively a light pencil drawing will suffice).
- Using the soft brush and watercolour paint, brush on paper to 'reveal' the invisible drawing. Use different colours -of the rainbow. What colours make a rainbow? How do rainbows happen?
- Once dry, use the glue stick and large half circle sequins randomly to add the shinny scales. Use stickers for the eye. Go back and add oil pastels if they want to accentuate detail.
|Traced Rainbow Fish by Age 4|
|Freedrawn Rainbow Fish by 4 yr old|
Transparent, resist, negative space, translucent, watercolour, invisible,
F-2: Explore ideas, experiences, observations and imagination to create visual artworks and design, including considering ideas in artworks by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists (ACAVAM106)
F-2: Use and experiment with different materials, techniques, technologies and processes to make artworks (ACAVAM107)
F: Respond to texts, identifying favourite stories, authors and illustrators (ACELT1577)
1: Creating literature Recreate texts imaginatively using drawing, writing, performance and digital forms of communication (ACELT1586)
2: Creating literature: Create events and characters using different media that develop key events and characters from literary texts (ACELT1593)
F: Biological sciences: Living things have basic needs, including food and water (ACSSU002)
1: Biological sciences: Living things have a variety of external features (ACSSU017)
2: Biological sciences: Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (ACSSU030)
The Rainbow Fish story in 1 pg PDF http://www.fcrr.org/assessment/SLP/Joann_Handouts/The_Rainbow_Fish_PA.pdf.
The Storyline Online website is great. Listen to someone reading the story here. http://www.storylineonline.net/the-rainbow-fish/