Sunday, February 23, 2014

Epic Fail for Mono Printing

I have been intrigued of recent by the hype around gelatin print making or gelli plates. So I thought I would try to do mono printing without using the proper equipment -as you do as an artist the purpose is to be experimental (and frugal at the same time). 

So I thought I would try mono printing using just the glass plate I use for my palette, and the reverse side of a baking tray. Why these you may be asking? Because these are non porous surfaces that paint won't stick too. So in my experimentation I tried both 'Gel' Paints used for toddlers aka finger paints, and cheap student acrylic paint. I tried with a proper squishy lino roller and a normal foam roller. 

So what went wrong...well the outcome wasn't as I had hoped. The rollers did not roll the gel paint very well at all, and as that paint is thin it isn't very good for printing.The acrylic paint rolled okay but I felt the print wasn't great. However, what was good about the rolling process was Missy 4 discovered colours when they rolled together. This was an exciting process for her.

 
I tried to make different textures using feathers, leaves, ribbon and hole punched craft paper. As well as using rubber nibbed tools for mark making which created a scraffito effect. This at least worked well. Where you can take this is getting children to write their name or letters (be in mind a print makes the reverse -however this could be an interesting process of discovery for them too.)

I think the result was poor because the gelatin plate process serves its purpose, it is squishy and allows some bounce so when you place objects and then the paper over the top and smoothing it out, it more effectively creates the print.

So in short, we learn from process and experimentation what works and what doesn't...so I will try creating a gelatin plate and see how I find the outcome. Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post was of help to you or interesting, please leave a comment or general feedback.