Monday, January 9, 2012

How to make a Lady Beetle Cake

I am off to a good start now having made a few 'character' birthday cakes. For my daughter's 1st birthday I made a rainbow butterfly cake. Now for her 2nd birthday I decided I wanted to make a lady beetle cake.

Here is how I did it -it is very simple.

What you need:
Springfoam cake tin 20cm
1 mufflin hole of a muffin tray
Cake mix
Icing and decorations

Time:
Preparation: 10-15mins
Cooking time: Approx 40mins cake, 15-20mins muffin (I have a single element electric oven so things take longer to cook).
Decoration Prep: 30mins or so

Step 1: Follow cake mix instructions. Pour enough mix into 1 muffin tray and the rest into a round cake tin. Cook and cool completely.

Step 2: Cut a little off the small muffin to fit as the head on the body of the lady beetle.

Step 3: Make your icing or cheat like me and get the Betty Crockers Pre-made icing. Colour it with food colouring.

Step 4: Ice the body of the lady beetle with pinky-red icing.

Step 5: Add melted chocolate to vanilla icing or get chocolate icing and ice the head.

Step 6: Put the cake on a plate and decorate. I used licorice and chocolate freckles. I got a pipe clean for the annetennas.




FINISHED: Hubby added some 'toughs' of grass with coloured icing. 

3 comments:

  1. Yummo! Looks fabulous Chrissy. Did the icing decorate everyone's faces as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes well hubby did paint my face with the left over icing but I wont post a picture of that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute - & what a clever hubby! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If this post was of help to you or interesting, please leave a comment or general feedback.