Sunday, November 14, 2010

Having fun with Mixed Media

Just before I finished my paintings for my first solo show, I was in need of some creative TLC (Tender Loving Care). I needed some fun creative 'me-time'. So I went back to my roots, what I like to do for play and experiment, and dabbled in some mixed media.

Difficulty: Very Beginner

Materials: 
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Roller
  • Newspaper
  • Brushes
  • Palette Knife
  • Printing Objects (stamps, containers (dish), milk container tops)
  • Palette
  • Paper Towel
  • Paper (Watercolour) or Canvas Sheets or Canvas
Here in this image you can see I have my set up. I have rolled some paint on my palette and put down a base or underpainting. Next I roll another top colour and use my rubber stamp. See the rim around my painted paper on the newspaper is the excess stamped paint. This makes a lovely effect too.
Work wet-in-wet if you choose or wait to dry.






Here is the next layer. I used the ceramic white dish rim to create the half circle by twisting only some of it in the paint. I used the green milk cap for another circle





Here I used a thin liner brush with black paint to freely paint an image. I tried not to have a preconceived idea as I wanted a flowing and unrestricted image to to shape and then I just went with it (so opposite to my working method of everything is planned).



Here is another fun piece. I tried to compose the image by only using the black from pure strength to diluted wash to create the image.












Last I had an idea of wanting to do a bookmark. So I went along with the rose theme as this was very fitting for the size format.

Once dry, I laminated it and hole-punched the top and feed a ribbon through...whoola! A bookmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post was of help to you or interesting, please leave a comment or general feedback.