Friday, October 29, 2010

Writing an Exhibition Statement

Well I don't know if that is the correct name for it or not, but an Exhibition statement is much like an Artist Statement in that it is divulging information; rather than about you, but your artwork. You know when you are walking around the gallery looking at the artworks and there is a plaque with the artwork details and a description about the art, whether it is the inspiration for creating the piece or factual such as describing the materials, process, technique or even subject matter. 

Exhibition Statements tend to be displayed on the bottom left or right corner of the art. They are generally typed statements glued onto foam core. Foam core (or also known as Flute board) is a thick soft material with squashy foam stuff between two pieces of card. It is easily cut with a stanly knife on a cutting mat.

Difficulty: Easy/Beginner

Materials:
  • Cutting Mat
  • Cutting Knife
  • Steal ruler
  • Normal ruler
  • Pencil
  • Rubber
  • Glue Stick
  • Foam core (Flute Board)

Questions to help you write your exhibition statements:
  1. Title artwork, materials, dimensions, year
  2. What inspired the artwork
  3. What materials have you used
  4. What techniques have you used
  5. What is the subject matter or theme
  6. What emotions or feelings does this artwork create
  7. Talk about design elements and principals but not necessarily critiquing the work e.g. colours, mood, composition etc. 
Length: It is has to been about a paragraph. Get to your point in a few sentences.

Exercise: Try writing an exhibition statement for a well known artwork. For example: If Van Gogh was writing an exhibition statement for his 'Sunflowers' paintings would go something like this:

Sunflowers in Vase
Oil paint
40x50cm

"Sunflowers are my favourite flower and I love painting them. They grow in the fields surrounding my cottage and inspired me from looking out my window. I set up a still life to paint these beautiful glowing flowers. I use oil paint on Belgian linen with linseed oil (how appropriate for the subject matter).  My technique is not traditional of my peers, I take my hue straight from the tube using a palette knife. I slice the paint into the hogs hair brush and paint in strokes. It is a slow and repetitive process as I don't premix my colours, I allow the multiple brushstrokes of colour to optically mix. Though I am colour blind, I hope by using brilliant yellows and oranges that the high key tones bring me a sense of joy as it would in real life seeing those colours..."

This paragraph is completely made up and a bit technical and academic for poor old Gogh, but you get the point. It is person as it is your thoughts. 

I hope this helps you to take on some creative license when you write yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post was of help to you or interesting, please leave a comment or general feedback.